Are you struggling in a relationship or marriage? Are you beginning to lose hope that you can work it out? Do you feel like you’ve lost your grip and all is out of control? If so, couples therapy (or some may call it marriage counseling) might be a good option for you. At my counseling practice, Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, in Colorado Springs, CO, I can help you with couples therapy or marriage counseling.
When two people come to a point in their relationship where they consider themselves a couple, it is a joyous time. You are best of ship mates. However, sometimes that joy is lost and couples struggle to maintain the happiness they once felt. They might feel there’s no hope.
Well, let me tell you, there is hope. It’s very possible to restore a strong, meaningful relationship if you have the right ‘tools.’ At Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, I can equip you with those tools so you can navigate out of the storm and find each other again.
I’ve spent a lot of time and training working with couples and successfully helping them. I also employ a technique called Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy. Of all the tools I’ve worked with, I’ve found it the most effective for helping couples like you find their “healing harbor’ in the storm.
Just like all my counseling services, it costs nothing for your first 15-minute phone consultation. During the consultation, I’ll listen to what’s troubling you and then share how I can help. Please give me a call today to schedule your free initial consultation:
Please keep reading for answers to common questions people have about couples therapy and marriage counseling …
What Is Couples Therapy? Or Marriage Counseling?
Couples therapy (or marriage counseling) is a type of intervention that allows couples to address their emotional needs and concerns. It is a way for couples to learn what each person feels is great about their relationship and what areas need work. It is a therapy that teaches couples how to communicate with each other again.
At Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, I believe that every couple has the ability to build loving and lasting relationships. We know that life can often get in the way and sometimes people just need a little guidance to get back on track and have a fulfilling relationship.
Couples therapy at Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, is conducted in a judgement free and compassionate setting that helps couples speak their mind, address their fears, and learn how to rebuild their relationship in a way that is beneficial to each individual and as a couple.
You can also learn more about: Premarital Counseling Services
Who Is A Good Candidate For Couples Therapy?
There are no real qualifications for who is right for therapy and who is not. At Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, I believe any couple who feels that their relationship is having difficulties is the right candidate for counseling. Even if the struggles are “not that bad,” it can sometimes be a good idea to seek some help to get back on track so the relationship can grow and flourish.
I do believe that counseling should be something that both parties want to try. If one person in the couple does not want to be in a therapy setting it can make the healing process a little more difficult to attain. I encourage all couples who are seeking therapy to come with an open mind and an open heart and at least give therapy a try.
How Does Couples Therapy Work?
At Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, I approach couples therapy using Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy or EFT. This type of therapy has been shown to have the most significant effect on couples who desire to rebuild and rekindle their relationship.
EFT allows the couple to build a strong and stable relationship by learning what emotional needs are and how to address their own as well as their partners. It teaches people how to go from being confrontational towards their partner to being compassionate to their needs. Couples find out how to create a sense of trust with each other.
Therapy is as unique as the individuals involved. While I use a basic guideline to help my clients, I also try to tailor each and every therapy session to meet the needs and issues of the couple.
What Are The Benefits Of Couples Therapy?
It is not unusual for our clients to want to know what benefits they will receive from counseling. I have found that most people who successfully complete couples therapy experience the following benefits:
- Stronger Relationship: Therapy results in a stronger relationship that gives comfort and happiness to both people.
- New Sense of Connection: For many couples, the closeness they experienced at the beginning of the relationship has faded. Therapy can help restore that sense of connectedness – each partner will be confident that if they reach out for the other, they can trust the he or she will be there.
- Individual Awareness: Each person learns something about themselves that they may have been afraid to address. Many times this self-awareness leads to problems being resolved and results in a more secure relationship.
- Met Emotional Needs: Therapy can help couples realize each one’s unmet emotional needs and teach them healthy ways to get those needs met.
- Compassion: Couples may find that they lose compassion for each other over time. Therapy helps them remember that the other person in the relationship is more than a partner; they are also a person with feelings and needs.
- Overcome Disappointment: Many times problems between a couple are based on a disappointment that has not been addressed. Learning to overcome the faults of each other is key to a successful relationship.
- Memory Boost: Perhaps the best benefit to couples therapy is the memory boost that the couples receive. Through therapy each person remembers just why they fell in love with the other person to begin with and those memories help build a better future.
There are countless other benefits that come from couples therapy. At Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, I find great joy in seeing how couples react to therapy and how their lives change from the many benefits they personally feel they have received.
How Long Does Therapy Last?
Therapy is a very individualized treatment. Each couple will attend therapy for as long as as short of a time period as they feel necessary. At Healing Harbor Counseling, PLLC, I try to set guidelines for time and therapy sessions based on the needs of the couple and not on any specific timeline.
Getting Started with Marriage Counseling or Couples Therapy in Colorado Springs, CO
If you believe that your relationship may need some help and are ready to try counseling, I encourage you to make an appointment today. If you are still unsure, I offer a free 15-minute phone consultation so that you can have any questions answered about my counseling sessions and feel more comfortable when you arrive for your first appointment. Contact me today for your free initial counseling consultation.